We know as a future mother, your top priority is a healthy pregnancy.
Are babies on your mind? You know there are plenty of things you should (and shouldn't) do during pregnancy to keep your baby healthy – but did you know you should have a pre-pregnancy game plan too? Protect yourself and you future son or daughter by following these guidelines to a healthy conception and pregnancy.
- Stop using hormonal contraception. It may take some time for your body to return to healthy fertility, so give yourself about three months off the pill, patch, or ring before you start trying to conceive.
- Lose weight. Dropping some pounds before a pregnancy may seem like a wasted effort, but a healthy BMI will boost your fertility and improve your chances of experiencing a healthy pregnancy.
- Quit your bad habits now. Pregnancy is hard enough without coupling it with cigarette withdrawal. Start cutting back on smoking, alcohol, and caffeine now, before the stakes are raised. These habits can also interfere with your fertility, and the fertility of your partner.
- Start taking a prenatal vitamin. These supplements are recommended for women to begin taking three to six months before they begin trying to conceive.
- Make an appointment with your doctor. He'll give you a physical, discuss your current lifestyle, provide conception tips, review your medical and family history, and ensure that you are up-to-date on your vaccinations.
It's our goal to ensure you experience a safe pregnancy and deliver a healthy baby! Learn more about maternity care at Mercy Hospital. You can also give our 24-hour baby helpline a call at (305) 285-2159. If you have any other questions or would like a physician referral, call our free Consult-A-Nurse® service at (305) 285-2929.